Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, May 4, 2011

Our 3 a.m. Escapade

Five years ago, 3 a.m. escapades would have likely involved one of the following:  a vacation, a party, a movie marathon, or New Year's Eve.  Last night, our 3 a.m. escapade was a bit different.

Staley does not usually wake up in the middle of the night.  This morning around 2:30, however, I awoke to Staley 'talking' and kicking in her co-sleeper.  She was wide awake, happy as a clam, and watching the ceiling fan.  For about 10 minutes, I watched and waited as she happily kicked her legs (with one sock on and one sock off), sucked on her hands, and talked.  I finally determined that she was not going to go back to sleep anytime soon, so since we were now both awake, I figured I'd feed her and we'd both sleep in a little later in the morning.  Everyone wins. 

It was a good plan until I looked over and saw a large wasp hovering around our bedside lamp.  (Plan diverted.)  I woke Zach and the 3 of us headed into the hallway, shutting the door behind us.  A minute later, Zach re-entered the bedroom armed with 2 fly swatters, a garbage bag, and paper towels.  To sum up the next 20 minutes:  Zach looking, wasp hiding, Ellen helping, Staley mobile watching, wasp disappearing, Ellen and Zach giving up, wasp winning, Ellen and Zach worrying, Staley not concerned. 

After the 30 minute diversion, we returned to Plan A (feeding Staley).  After Staley finished eating, I prepared to swaddle her up in her blanket so we could all go back to sleep.  As I reached around the blanket to tuck it under Staley, my hand brushed something.  And there, sitting on my daughter's blanket (the very blanket that I was about to wrap her in), was that wiley wasp.  I grabbed Staley out of her bed, Zach pounded the wasp with one of his two fly swatters, and Staley (still wide awake) happily watched the whole scene.  With the wasp safely flushed away, we were all able to go back to sleep and only one of us had to wake up 2 hours later to get ready for work.  (Luckily, that was neither Staley nor I.)  Hopefully that will be the last of 3 a.m. excitement for awhile. As my high school curfew indicated, nothing good happens after midnight anyway.

2 comments:

  1. Ha, trying to visualize Zach's heroics during this escapade reminds me of The Great Outdoors scene with the bat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I remember a 3 am escapade with you that involved animal crackers:) We can save that story for Staley's 30th bday!

    ReplyDelete