Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, May 16, 2011

Things We Take for Granted

I've been reminded recently about all that we take for granted in life.  Part of our basement project included removing all the pipes for the heating system.  In the middle of May, you wouldn't think that would be a big deal.  However, with current daytime temperatures in the low 50's and nighttime temperatures in the high 30's, heat is something that we dearly miss.  We've been moving our one borrowed space heater from room to room, limiting our living space to the living room during the day and our bedroom at night.  It's inconvenient.  It's no fun.  Bumping up the furnace a few degrees when I'm feeling a little chilled is something that I take for granted every winter.

Having a working dryer is something else that I take for granted several times a week.  Disconnecting the gas line for basement work means that I can wash all the clothes I want, but I can't dry them.  Lugging baskets of dirty laundry to and from my parent's house and Zach's parent's house makes me thankful that this is a temporary inconvenience (and that I have washers and dryers that I can borrow in houses I can stay in during the day to avoid the loud, dirty, COLD home that is currently mine.)

In the midst of our work-related inconviences, we also lost use of one of the most essential amenities in any home.  May our DVR rest in peace.  We lost all of the movies we had been saving and all the shows we hadn't gotten a chance to watch yet.  More unfortunate, we had to watch the 'Survivor' finale last night WITH commercials, AND if we had to use the restroom during the show, we couldn't pause.  Oh the horror!! 

And, although these 3 losses in our lives have had a profound impact, I know that there are individuals who deal with struggles like this on a daily basis.  Individuals who don't have the money to pay their heating bill or can't afford to get their dryer fixed, who haul their laundry to the laundramat and huddle around their one space heater to keep warm.  There are families who can't afford to buy their children a book or a toy for Christmas, let alone provide the convenience of a television or a DVR.  I am continually reminded how blessed I am in my life.  There was a time that I took for granted that I could have children or start a family when I decided I was ready...and God taught me patience and trust as I learned that the ability to have children is not a certainty.  And although I know many people are thankful for their children, my experience with infertility makes me realize each and every day what a true miracle Staley is.  I will not take for granted the blessing of each day with Staley...just as I will try to remember to be truly thankful for heat, for dry clothes, for running water, for a bed to sleep in, for a family who loves me...and for the ability to fast forward through all the boring commentary and Kirstie Alley dances on 'Dancing with the Stars.'

1 comment:

  1. Would you like to borrow my space heater and have heat in more than one spot? It is the "radiator" type. Very nice & efficient. You could pick it up on the way home from work.

    ReplyDelete