Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, August 1, 2011

The World is Starting to Make Sense

Staley is at such a fun age.  She is learning and discovering and understanding her world more and more each day.  It seems that Staley is starting to connect a few words with their meanings.  When we say "splash, splash" during bath time, she will smile big and kick her legs.  When we say "where's the kitty", she looks around for Jake and Elwood.  Zach picks her up on the days that I work and when he says "let's go home and see Mommy", she gets a big smile on her face.  And when we ask, "what does the kitty say?" or "what does the cow say?", she gets very excited because animal sounds are one of her favorite games.

Staley is also starting to play anticipatory games.  She will get excited when I slowly move my hand towards her for tickling.  She loves peek-a-boo, and will watch the top of the blanket for my eyes to appear (and then giggle when they do).  She has a few favorite books and seems to get excited before we even start reading them, presumably by recognizing the cover.  ('Moo, Baa, La La La' is top of the list right now.)  She is also getting a little more hesitant around new people, occasionally crying but generally just regarding them seriously or burying her head into my shoulder.  And, although part of me loves the fact that she knows me and loves me and wants to be around me, Staley is starting to get upset when I leave the room.  Which makes me feel good, but also makes taking a shower or using the bathroom a little tougher.

With Staley's ever-growing understanding of the world, I wanted to use the summer to expose her to fun new experiences like the swimming pool and the zoo and the playground.  Unfortunately, the weeks of living out of suitcases followed by the weeks of incessent heat have grounded some of our plans.  But Staley did get to enjoy a short outing to the Fondulac Farm Park on Saturday, where she rode around in her stroller, relaxing and giggling at the farm animals she saw.

Not ladylike, but comfortable

No comments:

Post a Comment