Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, September 28, 2011

The Power of Words

Today, Staley and I were working on crawling.  (Well, actually, I've mastered crawling, so I was helping Staley.)  Staley is often very content to sit and play, and she still prefers rolling as her primary means of independent mobility.  She is starting to get up onto her hands and knees, but has still not figured out how to move herself forward on her stomach or on her hands and knees.  So during our play time today, I was using the most powerful motivational tool that I know...my cell phone.  I would place the cell phone several feet away from Staley and then help her move forward on her stomach to reach it.  I would then let her play with it for a minute or two (so sorry if anyone got a random call from me), and then I'd take it and make her scoot forward to it again.  After we had done this about 3 or 4 times, I took the cell phone away and placed it several feet away from Staley once more.  Instead of moving forward with my help as she had done previously, Staley rolled onto her back, looked right at me, and signed 'more.'  I guess Staley has already figured out that you don't have to learn how to crawl if you can just tell someone what you want.  I must say, I was quite impressed with her understanding and use of her one sign.  Oh, the power of language!  Unfortunately for Staley, I still believe in the power of mobility as well, so I deliberately misinterpreted her 'more' to mean 'more crawling' and made her scoot forward to get the cell phone once more.

1 comment:

  1. The difference between having one child and three.... I will be pulling Lila's legs out from under her to prevent crawling as long as I can! I do remember helping Cade learn to crawl though :) (and I am only kind of kidding about pulling her legs out from under her....)

    ReplyDelete