Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Things a Mother Can't Do

I believe that in Staley's eyes, a mother can do anything.  When she asks for a cracker, I can make it appear.  I can reach the toys on high shelves, turn on and off the lights, read books, lift her out of her crib.  When she says 'please' or 'help', I can usually deliver.

Today, however, Staley realized something that a mother can't do.  We were driving to Washington for some swimming fun.  Staley was sitting up in her carseat, looking out the window when we saw a train going along the tracks.  It was in sight for about 10 seconds or so, and then she could no longer see it.  When the train was out of sight, Staley said 'please.'  I replied 'please what?' To which she answered 'train.'  I explained that the train was all done.  Staley cried for a few seconds and then tried a different tactic.  'Help.  Train.'  Over and over.  'Please.  Train.'  'Help.  Train.'  I tried my best to explain in 1 year old terms.  'The train is all done.  Bye train.'  After we went through this scenario about 15-20 times, Staley finally seemed to get it.  'Train.  Done.'

So it has happened.  At 13 months and 4 days, Staley has realized that there are things that her mother just can't do.  Or at least one thing.  I can't make a train reappear along a driving route upon request.  Hopefully she has not lost all faith in me... because supplying crackers and reaching high shelves is important too.

No comments:

Post a Comment