Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, March 5, 2012

Free Association

Everyone has participated in a little free association game at some point in their life.  You know how it goes:  I give you a word, you tell me the first thing that comes to mind.  Well, life with my talkative little girl is an on-going game of free association.  Usually whatever I say prompts a free association response from Staley--sometimes she responds with the same word that I said last, but more often she responds with her own connecting word.  She also will free associate with herself.  She'll say something and then follow up with the word that she connects with her previous word.  Sometimes the associations she makes truly amaze me.  So welcome to Staley's world of free association.

I say ________________ and then Staley says ____________________ .

Uma-Papa
Grammie-Grandpa
Aunt Carrie-Elliott
Cade-Basketball (or ptschh or bounce--words that Staley associates with basketball)
Princess-Tiana and then Belle
Shower-shampoo
Bear-Sneeze and then ah-choo (because of her 'Bear Snores On' book)
Packers-Boo
Rinse-Owww (another book association where a little boy rinses his hair and gets soap in his eyes)
Drama-No (because Staley knows what we say about the drama)
Movie-Cow and then booo (because the only movie she knows is her farm video)
Breakfast/lunch/dinner-Eat
Train-choo choo
Library-book
Strong-shampoo (because the first time I told her she was strong was when she was trying to pick up and hand me a full bottle of shampoo.  She remembered this, even when I didn't initially make the connection.)

Happy is one of Staley's newer words.  And now when she says 'happy', she follows up with 'mama.'  What an accurate association, because she is so right.  Staley makes me SO, SO happy!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment