Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, April 23, 2012

Colors and Shapes

Staley is starting to understand more and more concepts.  Colors and shapes are two of these concepts that Staley is working on.  She knows the names of colors and shapes, but consistently attaching the name to the correct color/shape...well, that's a different story.  Staley pretty consistently identifies pink, black, and brown (at least with her crayons), and she can identify ovals, stars, hearts, and diamonds (at least in her shape books).  However, she knows the names of other colors (blue, green, yellow, purple) and other shapes (circle, square, rectangle).  She will proudly label colors and shapes.  She will reach out, grab her red crayon, hold it up, and say "purple" with a big smile.  She will hand me the triangle from her shape sorter and exclaim "circle" as she's handing it to me.  I love that she understands what colors and shapes are.  But as she's walking around with her yellow Easter egg (which is her favorite) announcing 'yellow egg, yellow egg' and I get smug that my 15 month old is so good with her colors, she will turn to hand it to me.  I'll ask, "What color is your egg?"  And with all the confidence in the world, she proudly announces "Blue!"

No comments:

Post a Comment