Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, May 4, 2012

13.1 Reasons Why

My dad is 63, a long-time runner, and just completed his first 1/2 marathon last week-end.  He did great!  I was impressed with his training, his time, and the fact that he was running again 2 days later.  My dad helped instill my love for running.  Running together was something special that we always did together.  I ran the last 3 miles of the 1/2 marathon with my dad last week-end, and was reminded again of all the things I love about running.  My running has been sporadic (at best) over the past 4 years.  During the 'infertility years', I took a break from running, and since Staley has been born, I've had a hard time working running into my schedule on a regular basis.  Running with my dad last week-end reminded me of how much I miss it.  And here's the 13.l reasons why I love running.

1.  Running comes naturally to me.  It's a God-given gift, and I need to use it.
2.  Running is the perfect stress-reliever.
3.  I love the feeling of accomplishment after a long run or race. 
4.  Running keeps me healthy.
5.  I'm competetive by nature.  Really competetive.  Running gives me a healthy outlet for that.
6.  Running gives me time to think.  Some of my best problem-solving, gift ideas, made-up song lyrics, winning arguments, and work-related presentations came during runs.
7.  Running makes me feel strong.
8.  Running takes me back to so many happy memories.  Running was something special I always did with my dad.  Cross country and track filled many of my hours through high school and college, and provided me most of my closest friends...and Zach. 
9.  Running lets me eat my desserts and still wear my skinny jeans.
10.  Running is an individual sport, but it brings people together.  It's like being a part of a secret society that no one else quite understands.  I like being in the club.
11.  Running keeps me in shape for the other things I enjoy--hiking, playing, swimming, sports.
12.  There are very few times in your adult life when people cheer for you.  When you run a race, they do.  Loudly.  And it feels good.
13.  Running makes me happy!

and the .1 reason I love running:  It's part of who I am.

I think when Staley gets up from her nap today, we'll go for a run.

2 comments:

  1. Love your list! #1 is sooooo true! Anytime of think of a runner, I think of you! You make it look easy and you look so at ease while running. I remember wanting to run with you during our h.s. track days, but you could run and talk to me while I could barely keep pace with you! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're competitive Ellen? I had no idea.....

    ReplyDelete