We just returned from a fun overnight excursion to Chicago. And just like everything I do as a first-time parent, I learned something new. And this is what I learned...
1. I learned that we don't HAVE to get a hotel suite when we travel, because Staley did great falling asleep and sleeping all night while sharing a room with her parents and grandparents.
2. I learned that Staley enjoys watching the 'fast runners' finish the 10-mile race inside Soldier Field.
3. I learned that saying 'good job, Daddy' and 'good job, Grandpa' are well within Staley's abilities.
4. I learned that pushing a stroller allows you to use the accessible entrance at the Shedd Aquarium, thus avoiding the extremely long line to get in the front door.
5. I learned that the $8 general admission fee for the aquarium allows you to see almost nothing...thus requiring you to instead spend $28/ticket. Highway robbery. But the $28 tickets did allow Staley to enjoy the sharks, the dolphins, the penguins...and her favorite, the beluga whales (that surface and spout water into the air).
6. I learned that the sirens during the Memorial Day parade on State Street were a little worrisome, but not enough to keep Staley from enjoying the parade. And I learned that the drums are AWESOME!
7. I learned that even balmy, crowded, small hotel pools are super-fun!!
8. I learned that a 20 minute nap in the stroller is enough rejuvination to keep Staley from napping in the car on the ride home.
9. I (happily) learned that Staley can stay awake and entertain herself for a 2 1/2 hour car ride without getting fussy once. All she needs is some catchy kid's music, 2 stuffed animals, several books, a few princess figurines, and her socks and shoes.
10. I learned that traveling with Staley remains easy...and fun...and well worth doing again and again and again.