Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Even the Best Laid Plans...

I've seen it in action.  The frantic parent, searching high and low for the beloved stuffed animal.  The screaming child refusing to go to bed without it.  The consistent checking to make sure it is in the diaper bag, the vigilant care to make sure it doesn't get left at the baby-sitters, the sneakiness with which the mother has to pluck it away from the child every now and then to wash it.  These are all parenting scenarios that I am content with not experiencing.  And even though Staley is easy-going and generally drama-free, I didn't want to take any chances.  So I made a plan.  A good plan.  An easy plan.  A fail-proof plan...or so I thought.

We recently let Staley start sleeping with a stuffed animal at bedtime and naptime.  My plan?  Give her a different stuffed animal each time she lays down.  That way, she gets the enjoyment of going to bed with a stuffed animal without the attachment issues to one specific toy.    Brilliant, right?  Unfortunately, it only worked for the first few days.  And then Staley grew attached...to Pink Bear, Yellow Bear, and Blue Bear.  I tried to sway her.  I'd give her a cute little dalmation puppy before nap.  She would get in her crib, hold the puppy up to me, and sweetly say...'All done, puppy.  Blue Bear.'  Or getting ready for bed, I'd pick the cuddliest lion from the stack of stuffed animals.  Staley would respond, 'No lion.  Yellow Bear.'

And so we now have Blue Bear, Yellow Bear, and Pink Bear.  Staley doesn't throw fits if she can't find them, but she consistently asks for one or more of them at naptime and bedtime.  So now we take them to the baby-sitters.  They join us on overnight trips.  We sometimes take them in the car.  Blue Bear, Yellow Bear, and Pink Bear have a good life.  They get lots of hugs, kisses, and tickles from a sweet little girl.  They get to sit on her lap when reading books.  According to Staley, they sometimes lick her hands.  And I can't complain.  Staley doesn't get upset without them.  There are 3 of them, so we have options in case one of them gets lost or ruined.  And they are Beanie Babies, so presumably they are easily replaceable.

I do like Blue Bear, Yellow Bear, and Pink Bear.  And Staley likes them too.  But I liked my plan better.
Pink Bear, Yellow Bear, and Blue Bear
(Bet you can't tell which is which.)

Blue Bear getting a little extra love.

No comments:

Post a Comment