Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, May 11, 2012

Not Really a Compliment

I don't usually work on Fridays, but the therapist who generally works on Fridays had a baby this morning.  As the emergency 'on-call' person for today, I had to go in to see a patient.  I spoke with the nurse on the phone to find out when would be a good time for me to come see this patient.  I explained that our usual OT had a baby this morning, so I was covering and could come in later in the morning.

When I showed up, the nurse looked at me and said, "You look AMAZING for having had a baby this morning!"

Which begs a few questions...

1.  How does looking amazing a few hours after giving birth translate into normal people looks?  I'm not sure I want to know the conversion table, because my thought...not too good.

2.  Should I be worried by the fact that this nurse thought it was even plausible that I had given birth earlier in the day?  I know my mid-section is still not pre-baby, but maybe I've been too easy on myself.

3.  And do we really want to be trusting the health and safety of our sick children to nurses who think that someone would return to work mere hours after giving birth?

I'm still just not sure how to take this...but I don't think it's a compliment.





No comments:

Post a Comment