Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, July 8, 2012

English is Tricky

The English language is tricky.  There are sayings and phrases that are figurative, not literal.  There are words with multiple meanings.  There is past tense, present tense, future tense.  There are pronouns and plural nouns.  I don't know how we learn all the nuances of this language as children, but we do.  I feel like Staley has done an amazing job understanding and communicating using the 'rules' of the English language, but it can still be confusing.

Yesterday, I went to a wedding shower for my cousin in Indianapolis while Zach spent the day with Staley.  When she would ask about where I was or what I was doing, Zach explained that I had gone to a wedding shower for my cousin.  He also tried to explain to her what a wedding shower is.  Today at lunch, we had this conversation.

Zach:  "Where did mommy go yesterday?"
Staley:  "Wedding shower."
Zach:  "Who was the wedding shower for?"
Staley:  "Cousin."

(Long pause.)

Staley:  "Mommy get all wet."

So close.  So, so close.

No comments:

Post a Comment