Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Saturday, October 13, 2012

Makes Me Thankful

Staley had a rough evening yesterday.  R-O-U-G-H.  Rough.

Yesterday was a great day.  We spent the day with Liam and Melissa.  Staley and Liam played with his toys and chased each other around the house.  We went to the Children's Museum in Bloomington, where Staley and Liam had a blast playing in the water, shopping in the marketplace, cooking in the kitchen, building with blocks, driving the combine, and painting on the wall.  Staley chose not to take a nap, instead talking and crying in the pack and play for an hour.  After her non-nap, Staley enjoyed a fun trip to visit Daddy at work.  She fell asleep on the drive home from Bloomington.

And that's when the fun ended.  Staley woke up when we got home...and she wasn't happy about it.  She cried...and cried...and cried.  Books, toys, even some coveted TV time failed to bring her tears to an end.  She cried through dinner (or as much of a 'dinner' as I could get her to eat.)  She cried through her bath.  She cried through pajama time.  She calmed down a little with bedtime stories and was asleep in her crib by 6:45.  The endless tears from the evening left me feeling worn down and frustrated and sad and tired...and thankful.

I am thankful that Staley is a happy little girl.
I am thankful that I can't remember a previous time when we've had an hour of tears.
I am thankful that Staley's tears are few...and very short-lived.
I am thankful that usually Staley eats what is put in front of her.
I am thankful that bathtime is generally fun and pleasant.
I am thankful that Staley usually naps without issue.
I am thankful that bedtime generally occurs without a fuss.
I am thankful that I have a partner to share this parenting journey with.
I am thankful that a rough evening is not a normal occurrance.

I know that some parents deal with 'rough' evenings or mornings or full days on a consistent basis.  I work with children who have physical, psychological, emotional, sensory issues that cause irritability and sensitivity and behavior problems and sleep issues and eating issues.  I know there are many parents who are navigating the parenting world alone.  I know there are parents who deal with much worse than what I was faced with on my rough evening.  I feel for them.  I can't imagine the frustration of dealing with these issues day in and day out.  And so I am thankful for Staley's rough evening...because it reminds me that I have it good.  So, so, so good.

No comments:

Post a Comment