Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Speaking of Staley...

There are those things in life that I think are universal pet-peeves.  Being interrupted when you are speaking.  People who tell you the end of movies you haven't seen yet.  And people who refer to themselves in the third person.  There's nothing more annoying than the third-person speaker.  (I think it's one of the many reasons I find Elmo so grating.)

Well, my daughter has always been a third-person speaker.  (At least for as long as she's been speaking in sentences.)  'Staley playing in bathtub.'  'Staley want snack.'  'Staley's turn.'  Of course, when it comes to the communication of my 21-month old, I don't find the third-person speech annoying.  I find it one more cute little nuance that makes my daughter who she is.  However, I want to make sure that this third-person talking doesn't continue past the point of cuteness, so we've been working on pronouns lately.  And I think we've recently turned a corner.

In the past few days, Staley has really started using 'I' and 'my' more consistently and appropriately.  'I want waffle.'  'I get bowl for Daddy.'  'I go to circus again.'  And her current favorite...'I do it all by myself.'  Granted, she still sometimes gets confused with her 'you' and 'I' ('Mommy pick you up'), and her third-person reference is still present, but she's starting to get it.  And Ellen is really proud of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment