Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, November 2, 2012

Potty Up-date

About two months ago, I mentioned Staley's emerging interest in using the potty in this post.  After her first true success, Staley made some great progress.  For about 2-3 weeks, she would regularly pee in the potty once or twice a day and would poop in the potty about every 2-3 days.  Sometimes I would ask if she needed to go and sometimes she would initiate on her own.  We'd also do some sitting without any success, but I was sure she'd be potty trained within the month. 

Shows what I know.  After those beautiful 2-3 weeks, Staley began to lose interest.  She rarely asked to sit on the potty, and generally didn't want to try when I asked.  I didn't want to push her and make things worse, so instead I upped the ante.  I added M&Ms to the mix.  I told her that she'd get an M&M for sitting on the potty, and more M&Ms for going pee-pee or poo-poo on the potty.  With the added incentive, I was sure we'd pick up where we left off.

Shows what I know.  Multiple M&Ms are great, but Staley is happy with her one M&M.  Sure, we've had a few successes, but generally Staley will ask to sit on the potty a.) when she's trying to get out of something (naptime, bedtime),  b.) when I am trying to get her downstairs for breakfast/lunch/leaving the house and she wants to keep reading books, c.) when I am taking a shower and Staley would prefer that I be keeping her company, or d.) when she wants an M&M.  (You'll notice that when she actually needs to go didn't even make the top 4 list.)

So that's where we are.  Staley still almost always lets us know when her diaper is dirty, and occasionally lets us know when her diaper is wet.  She still sits on the potty, but not with the regular success that I would hope for.  I know she's still very young.  I'm not worried.  I'm not pushing it.  We have plenty of time.  But I had assumed that potty training with Staley would be quick and easy and hopefully done by now.

Shows what I know.

1 comment:

  1. But she looks so cute on her potty :) Olivia would occasionally go on the potty at this age but I was too lazy to potty train her so I waited and just after she turned two, one day she said she never wanted to wear diaper again...and she didn't. I never "trained" her. I have a feeling Staley will be the same way!!

    ReplyDelete