Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Time Change

I like my sleep.  Always have.  Where the average adult probably needs 7-8 hours of sleep at night, I think my body functions best on 10-11.  I always cherished my days off as days that I could sleep in and let my body get the rest it always seems to need.  I'm a great napper.  I can sleep anywhere.  Falling asleep--no problem.  I don't really think I have an internal clock.  If there was an Olympics for sleeping, I'd definitely be in the running for the gold.

Staley was a great night-time sleeper from the moment we brought her home.  I think that was God's divine wisdom, knowing that I'd be a much better mother with some hours of sleep under my belt.  For the past several months, her night-time sleep patterns are like clockwork.  Asleep by 7:30.  Awake between 7:00 and 7:15.  (On the rare occasion, 7:30 or 8:00.  Oh, those are glorious days!)

Last week, however, Staley started several of her days around 6:30 instead of 7:00.  I was hoping it was a fluke.  And then...the time change.  We pushed back Staley's bedtime and naptime to help her accommodate to the change.  Her bedtime and naptime schedule have still been going fine.  But now instead of our like-clockwork 7:00-7:15 awakening, she has been waking up between 6:00 and 6:30.  Everyday.  Days I work.  Days I don't work.  I'm not one of those moms who gets up early to shower, get ready, meditate, work out.  Nope.  On my days off, I wake up when Staley wakes up.  7:00-good.  6:00-not so good.

I'm telling myself it's the time change.  I'm convincing myself it's the time change.  I'm HOPING that it's the time change.  Because that means that Staley will adjust, and our schedule will return to the way it was.  The other option would mean entertaining the thought that Staley's sleep schedule has changed, and that 6:00 is the start of our everyday.  I'm not ready to entertain that thought.  So...it must be the time change.

No comments:

Post a Comment