Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Fallen Angel

Staley Milestone #582:  Staley was put in time-out at her baby-sitters for the first time yesterday.

I think it's starting.  The limit testing.  The boundary pushing.  The I'll-keep-doing-it-if-I-want-to-do-it-even-when-you-tell-me-no.  The bossiness.  The demands.  We are entering THAT phase of toddlerhood.

So far, Staley has been such an easy toddler.  I'm not one of those parents who is afraid to correct or punish my child.  I have high standards for her actions and obedience.  I don't think her easy toddlerhood has anything to do with a fear of telling her 'no' or a reluctance to discipline.  She's just been easy.  If we tell her to do or not to do something, she generally listens.  If we give her a consequence, we follow through.  Usually a related consequence works to curb her behavior.  Standing up in the bath?  Bath time is over.  Playing with her fruit?  No more fruit.  Being rough with her toys?  Toys are taken away.  It's been pretty simple...so far.

Recently, Staley has had a fascination with time-out.  This is the discipline method employed by her baby-sitter, so she has become familiar with time-out by watching her friends do their time.  Lately, if Staley gets reprimanded at the dinner table for playing with her food, she will say, "I get in trouble.  I sit in time out."  We'll ask, "Do you want to sit in time-out?"  Her reply is always "yes."  The other night at dinner, continued food playing and yelling at the dinner table resulted in an actual time-out.  She didn't like not interacting with us (and she didn't get to zoodle after dinner), but otherwise she seemed unphased.  And yesterday, when I picked her up from the baby-sitter, her baby-sitter mentioned that Staley had been disruptive during circle time after repeated warnings and had to sit in time-out.  She also mentioned that Staley seemed pretty pleased with being put in time-out.

And so here we are.  We have the beginning of some limit testing and boundary pushing...and a little girl who apparently likes time-out.

No comments:

Post a Comment