Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Eve Events

Generally the events associated with New Year's Eve involve parties and late nights and staying up until midnight to say good-bye to another year and hello to the promise of what the next year holds.

Unfortunately, our New Year's Eve events of the day involved more hospital and less party.  My pregnancy with Peanut has been cruising along uneventfully, just the way I like it.  Yesterday I started having contractions.  Nothing regular or strong, but contractions nonetheless.  I rested, drank fluids, and they still stuck around.  I slept well last night and was a little unnerved to realize that they continued to linger this morning.  I called my doctor for a little reassurance, and unfortunately that's not what I got.  Due to the holiday, my doctor's office was closing early but my doctor really felt like I needed to be seen.  So Zach rushed home from work, his mom came over to watch Staley, and Zach and I headed over to the Labor and Delivery triage at the hospital.

After an hour and a half of monitoring and some tests by the doctor, it was confirmed that I was indeed having contractions but was not in preterm labor.  The verdict:  Go home, rest, drink lots and lots of fluids, and come back if the contractions continue or get worse.

Although that may not have been my first choice of how I wanted to spend my New Year's Eve day, I can't help but feel so thankful.  Thankful that Peanut is still doing well and staying put.  Thankful that I have a husband who will rush home from work, stay with me and entertain me in the hospital, insist that I stay here on the couch while he watches our daughter, and keeps bringing me fresh refills of my water.  Thankful that my mother-in-law is always so willing to help out, even at a moments notice.  Thankful that my parents offered to bring over dinner to make sure I continued to rest and relax.  Thankful that we have insurance and the ability to pay for medical care so that I don't have to weigh out whether or not my medical needs truly warrant attention.  Hospital visit may not have been top of my list of what I wanted to do on New Year's Eve and extra medical bills may not have been my choice of how to spend a little extra money before the new year, but all I am is thankful.  It's a good reminder as 2012 comes to a close that I am so blessed.  So my New Year's Eve wish for you is that you have a moment to stop and reflect on all the ways you have been blessed in 2012...and to hope that 2013 is just as good.

No comments:

Post a Comment