Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, January 25, 2013

Cabin Fever

We need to get out more.  Every day, Staley talks about all the fun things she'd like to do.  As soon as she wakes up, she asks to go to the zoo, the aquarium, Sea Land (whatever that is?), the Disney store, the park.  She asks to ride trains and helicopters and boats.  She wants to see fireworks and parades.  Like the sweet girl she is, she always invites me to join her.  "You want to go to the aquarium with me?"  Whenever I tell her it's just too cold, she always says, "We will go when it gets sunny."  Staley and I both can't wait for it to get sunny (and warm) again. 

To fill the void, Staley pretends.  She pretends...and pretends...and pretends.  The other day, we pretended to go to the zoo where Staley proceeded to put on a variety of animal shows for me.  (Not to be critical, but all the shows--from the hippo show to the beluga whale show to the wallaby show to the Dora and Boots show--where very similar.)  We pretend to pick blueberries on Blueberry Hill (and strawberries on Strawberry Hill and pineapples on Pineapple Hill).  We pretend to go on boat rides and train rides.  We pretend to play at the park.  Staley spends plenty of time riding her horse (a wooden dowel rod she found) around the house.  Staley's imagination amazes and amuses me constantly.  Our pretend play is generally not initiated by me.  Staley comes up with a variety of scenarios, and always takes the lead.  I love it!!  But sometimes I feel bad that her days are filled with 'pretend' trips and adventures instead of real ones.

The one new fun activity Zach and I have (inadvertently) provided for Staley is her new bedroom furniture.  We went to Ikea a few weeks ago to pick up a big girl bed and dresser and some shelves for Staley's big girl room.  We have yet to actually put anything together, so the boxes are stacked invitingly in our bedroom.  These boxes have become Staley's source of indoor adventure and fun, providing a whole new platform for pretending.

Climbing the 'mountain' is perfect for my young adventure-seeker.

Staley going to 'art class' with her bears.

Riding 'horses' with Jake.

I truly enjoy and appreciate Staley's imagination.  I love that she can turn cold winter days at home into fun adventures.  It makes me laugh as her brood of imaginary friends grows to include not just the pink, green, and blue friend, but all the colors in the rainbow.  I hope she holds onto this ability to turn the ordinary into the extraordinary.  She makes the most out of these cold dreary indoor days...and she makes them so much better for me.


1 comment: