Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, January 27, 2013

To Nap or Not to Nap

I love naptime.  Staley's naptime is my quiet time.  I do chores around the house.  I blog.  I make phone calls.  I relax.  As much as I love spending time with my little girl, I enjoy this quiet time.  It energizes me.  Rejuvinates me.  Makes me ready to tackle the rest of the day.

Unfortunately, Staley has decided that napping is not something she wants to do on a daily basis anymore.  For the past month or so, Staley has been choosing not to nap about 2-3 days each week.  She's not sad about it.  She happily goes through the pre-nap rituals of listening to songs and reading books.  She has no qualms about being laid in her crib.  She just chooses not to sleep.  I will leave her in her crib for an hour to an hour and a half, and she just happily talks and sings the entire time.  I think her active imagination is both a blessing and a curse.  On the one hand, she can entertain herself without toys or books (except for a certain Yellow Bear) in her crib for over an hour without difficulty.  On the other hand, maybe if she got bored, she'd fall asleep.

I can't really complain.  Missing a nap used to mean difficult evenings, but Staley seems to take it in a stride now.  She doesn't cry in her crib or try to get out of her crib.  She tends to take slightly longer naps (2 hours instead of 1 1/2 hours) on the days she does nap.  And I still have a little time to get things done, although I can't really call it quiet time anymore since I can hear Staley's running commentary, stories, and songs through the monitor the ENTIRE time she is in her crib.  I do think Staley's a little young to be giving up naps, but she gave up her second nap early, so maybe she's just not a napper.  Unfortunately, it seems that Staley might be done taking naps about the same time we welcome home a little Peanut who probably won't want to sleep through the night.  But I'm getting ahead of myself.  For now I'll focus on the fact that, since Staley didn't nap today, I'll probably have a few hours of quiet time tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment