Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, February 24, 2013

And So It Begins...

Staley has been sleeping in her big girl bed for a full week now, and it has been going great.  She loves her bed!  And although she seems to roll around to every inch of her full size bed while she sleeps (yes, I've had to move her up in bed twice to keep her from rolling off the end), I otherwise have no complaints.  She can climb in and out of bed easily, but has been staying in bed for naps and night-time sleep, calling for us when she wakes up or needs something.  I knew there would come a day when Staley determined that there was no need for her to stay put in bed when she could so easily get out.  I was just hoping that moment would come later rather than sooner.  One week into big girl bed-ness is much sooner than I had hoped.

Staley wasn't in the mood for napping today.  Zach put her down for her nap, and I listened to her happily talking and singing through the monitor.  About 10 minutes into naptime, I heard Staley say, "I get back in bed."  I went upstairs to check on her, and she was in bed.  She told me, "I got back into my bed."  I reminded her that she needed to STAY in her bed during naptime.  After about 15 minutes more minutes of talking and singing, I heard Staley say, "I will read my books."  I again went to check on her, and found her out of bed with books pulled off of her bookshelf.  When she saw me, she happily ran toward me with a big, proud smile on her face.  I sternly told her that she was NOT to get out of bed during naptime.  My heart broke as her eyes filled with tears and she obediently crawled back up into her bed.  Her tears didn't last long, and again the talking and singing resumed.  I resigned myself to the fact that she was not going to nap today, but I needed about 30 more minutes of 'naptime' to get a few things done.  During this time, I heard Staley begin talking about her pillow pet (which is across the room from her bed.)  After a little over an hour with no nap in sight, I went up to tell Staley that nap time was over.  She was happily lying in bed...with her pillow pet by her side.

Staley loves her big girl bed.  Peanut needs a crib.  The transition had to occur.  Night-time sleep isn't an issue, but napping has not always been Staley's strong suit...and I don't think this is going to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment