Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Thursday, March 7, 2013

A Not-So-Exciting First

Tonight marked another first for Staley.  Not the type of first I'll put in the baby book or excitedly share with friends.  This is more of a first that I hope will be a last.  Tonight was Staley's first official tantrum.  It wasn't fun.  It wasn't pretty.  It definitely makes me hope that the combination of a day at the sitters plus being tired plus cutting molars all combined for one unlucky storm of emotions.  Fingers (and toes) crossed.

Don't get me wrong.  We have our share of tears around here.  We have drama and outbursts when things don't go our way, but it is always short-lived.  Staley can usually be reasoned with or distracted from whatever the drama is, and a few short minutes is the most we ever see.  Until tonight.

To set the stage, the evening was rough from the moment we got home.  Staley didn't want enchiladas for dinner.  Before she was even sitting at the table, Staley was crying and informing us that she doesn't like enchiladas (which she's eaten happily many times before).  After dinner, Staley chose to play in her playroom instead of Zoodle.  While playing basketball, I picked up her ball and started dribbling it.  My mild-mannered, great sharing little girl forcefully told me, "Give it to me.  It's MINE!"  While playing, we reminded Staley on multiple occasions that if she wanted to Zoodle, we had to do it now.  She always chose to keep playing, verbalizing that she understood that meant no Zoodling.  All was well and good...until we told her play time was over.  Then she insisted that she wanted to Zoodle.  Over and over and over again.  There were tears and screaming and difficulty catching her breath and throwing herself backward and, at one point amidst the tears and shortness of breath, Staley just kept repeating "Kindle...Kindle...Kindle...Kindle..." over and over and over again.  Her tantrum lasted through getting pajamas on, brushing teeth, and even partway through her first bedtime story.  After her 3rd book, she was calmed down and smiling...until she was told that bedtime stories were over and it was time for sleep.  More tears.  More crying.  And then asleep within 2 minutes.

All in all, her tantrum lasted about 15 minutes.  I know in the scheme of tantrumming toddlers, that's really not so bad.  I know that there were other factors that may have contributed to her emotional night.  That doesn't change the fact that my daughter was very much 2 tonight.  She was difficult and bossy and selfish and unreasonable and emotional.  These are all so different from the easy-going, sweet, mild-mannered daughter that I'm accustomed to, and my hope is that tonight was a fluke...and not the beginning of a trend. 

I was starting to feel prepared to handle 2 kids.  I got a little more nervous when we started having nap-time issues.  But if we add on tantrumming, I may just see if Peanut minds hanging out in there for a few more months until I feel better equipped to handle it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment