Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, March 15, 2013

Diagnosis

Staley is generally our happy, talkative, compliant little girl so at those times when she isn't, it takes us by surprise.  We've found that crying for no reason usually goes hand-in-hand with being sick or overly tired.

On our way home from work/baby-sitter last night, Staley and I had to run into the grocery store for a few items.  Since I needed 3 gallons of milk, I grabbed a cart, put Staley in the seat, and headed into the grocery store.  About half-way through the first aisle, Staley started crying.  I asked what was wrong, but she didn't answer.  She continued to cry her way through the entire store.  I could calm her for a few short moments with grocery store favorites like holding items, putting items into the cart, or looking at the penguin cut-outs in the frozen foods section, but then she would start crying again.  When I'd ask if she felt okay or if something hurt or if something was wrong, she would make a whiny/grunty noise, but would not answer.  This was so out of character for Staley, so I began to be concerned that she had a fever or was getting sick.  I hurriedly grabbed what we needed, held my crying daughter in the check-out line, and headed for home as quickly as possible.

When Staley was buckled in her carseat with her favorite bear and a blanket, she calmed down for the ride home.  As we were driving home, I asked my now calm little girl why she was crying at the grocery store.  Her response?  "I wanted to get down."  Hmmmmm....

Once home, I still took her temperature, convinced that she must be coming down with something that would make her act that way in the grocery store.  After a normal temperature recording and a happy, playful little girl in the evening, I had all the evidence I needed to make an official diagnosis.  My daughter, unfortunately, IS coming down with something...and that something is BEING TWO.

No comments:

Post a Comment