Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

In the Genes

Growing up, I always loved a little adventure in my life.  As a child, I loved to climb trees, swing really high, and go on roller coasters.  As I grew older, my search for an adrenaline rush led me to activities like cliff jumping, sky diving, and rock climbing.  And now, as a responsible adult and almost mother of two, I look back at my recklessness and hope that my children don't follow in those footsteps.

Unfortunately, I think it may be in the genes.  I definitely didn't inherit these traits from my parents (who still cringe when they hear stories of some of the things I did), but apparently my maternal grandfather (who I never had a chance to meet) was a paratrooper who loved the adventurous side of life.  And Staley seems to have developed her own thirst for a thrill.  At the playground, she loves to go higher and higher and higher on the swings.  Hanging upside down, going down the fast slides, and climbing up ladders all hold a fascination for her.  And on Monday night at the Children's Museum, Staley discovered the little rock climbing wall...and couldn't get enough.  There was a little learning curve, but by her third time, she scaled right up the wall (impractical footwear and all) without any assistance.

Learning...

...to pro in 3 short attempts.

And although seeing the direction she is heading with some of her more 'daring' pursuits makes me worry, the other side of me is pleased to see her developing this sense of adventure.  I know that the adventure-seeking side of me caused me to make some unwise decisions and pursue activities that I'm sure my parents were glad they only heard about after the fact.  However, it also helped develop my sense of self.  Doing something that many other people wouldn't do made me feel strong.  Brave.  Independent.  Proud.  And I want Staley to discover these qualities in herself as well...although if she can do it in a more careful and responsible way, that would be fine with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment