Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, March 8, 2013

Predictions

It's amazing to me the things people feel free to do and say when you are pregnant.  There is belly touching, which I think merits a certain closeness in a relationship and, at the very least, asking if it's okay.  Obviously, not everyone feels that is a breech of personal space like I do.  There are the comments about my size or my apparent readiness to 'pop' or the fact that I'll NEVER make it to my due date.  And, because we do not know the gender of our child, there are lots and lots and LOTS of opinions and predictions about what the sex of our child will be.  When we were expecting Staley, about 75% of the people who had an opinion thought we were having a boy.  Oops!  And this time, about 95% of the gender predictions are boy, which makes Zach and I feel like Peanut just might be another girl.

The predictions don't just come from our family or friends or co-workers.  Oh no.  Again, random strangers feel very much at liberty to predict the gender of our child.  A few weeks ago, I was having lunch at the Panda Express.  As I was walking to my table, a random diner stopped me (in the middle of eating her meal) to ask if I was having a boy or a girl.  I told her that we didn't know, and she immediately shared with me that I am having a boy...and that's she's never been wrong.  Then she made a comment about how she wished she could find out if she was right.  I hope it wasn't too rude of me not to offer to call her from the hospital to fulfill this wish.  Then, this past week-end, we were doing a little home improvement shopping at Menards.  As we were walking along, a young man stopped suddenly to ask me if I was having a boy.  Again, I told him we were going to be surprised, and he immediately shared that I was definitely having a boy.  Who knew so many baby gender experts existed in our local community??

I've decided that going to my doctor is unnecessary now.  At my disposal seem to be a wealth of individuals who can predict gender, share how my gestational age must be wrong based on the size of my belly, and who are certain that I'll never make it to my scheduled due date.  And all without the hassel of an appointment time or a co-pay.  Now if only there is someone in the elevator at work or my next lunch-time restaurant who will offer to deliver my baby free of charge as well, we'll be set. 

1 comment:

  1. I remember a man got down right MAD at me for not knowing the gender of my unborn child. He actually told me that it irritated him that he would never know. He was selling veggies at the farmers market.

    I love to gender "predict" though- annoying or not. I predict boy! Which means it is a girl! Can't wait to find out!

    ReplyDelete