Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, March 1, 2013

She Says...

Staley is always amusing us with the things she says.

Last night as Staley and I were driving home from Peoria, we had this conversation.
Me:  "Whose birthday party are you going to tomorrow?"
Staley:  "Ethan's."
Me:  "That will be so fun.  Can I come too?"
Staley:  "No.  You will just stay home.  I will go."
Me:  "If I don't go with you, how will you get there?"
Staley:  "Jack will take me."
Getting dismissed, once again, for Staley's imaginary friend doesn't do much for my self-esteem.

Staley picks up on a lot of the phrases that we use, and now uses them in the appropriate context.  It's amusing to hear her tell us things like, "That's a great idea, Daddy" or "Good thinking, Mommy."  If we offer her more of something at mealtimes, she will often respond, "No.  I'm fine."  Staley will provide positive reinforcement by telling us, "You're a nice Mommy" or "You're a nice Daddy."  She has also gotten in the habit of giving us options.  "Mommy, do you want to play trains?  Yes or no?"  This morning, she came into my room as I was getting ready holding 2 of my headbands and asked, "Do you want the white one or the green one?"  It just makes me laugh to hear our phrases coming back to us from the mouth of a 2 year old.

Staley has definite opinions about her fashion preferences.  The other morning, Zach was getting Staley ready to go to her baby-sitter.  As he was putting on her hat, Staley said, "Mommy always wears headbands.  I do not like headbands.  I like hats."

At dinner the other night, Staley told us, "My tummy hurts.  I think I have a burp in there."

After nap time (or more precisely, no-nap time) today, I asked Staley what she would like to watch during snack time.  She responded with, "I do not want to watch a scary movie."  Since the scariest thing she has to worry about with any of the shows she's seen is whether or not Swiper is going to swipe something, I'm not sure where she got this notion of scary movies.  Luckily, I don't think Dora's Backpack Parade is too scary for her.

Staley is consistently telling us she needs to use the potty as she is going.  This is a step closer to being potty trained, but we need just a little more warning to make her successful.  The other night during bath time, Staley suddenly said, "I need to go potty."  When I got her to the potty, she immediately said, "I'm all done."  I asked if she had gone pee pee in the tub, and she said "yes."  I proceeded to let the water out of the tub and told her that bath time was over, which resulted in some Staley sadness.  (I'm sure peeing in the tub has been a regular occurance over the past 2 years, but I couldn't knowingly put her back into pee water.)  A few nights later, she again told us that she needed to go potty while in the tub.  As I was about to lift her out, she renigged and told me, "I don't need to go."  Then, as if suddenly remembering the previous night, she added seriously, "I did not pee or poop in the tub."  She has a little work to do on the potty training...and on using a convincing lie.

A day doesn't go by that Staley doesn't amuse us.  Life with Staley is just so fun!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment