Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, April 19, 2013

Adelie Day

Today is Adelie Day.  Zach took Staley to Bloomington with him this morning, and she is spending the day playing with Aunt Melissa and her cousin, Liam.  So Adelie and I have the day to spend together, just the two of us.

My original plan was to take pictures of what we did and do a blog post in pictures of our day together.  The problems with this plan?

1.  We don't do much.
2.  What we do generally takes both of us, leaving no one to take pictures.

Instead, here is our day so far...
6:00 a.m.  Adelie wakes up to eat.
6:30 a.m.  She goes back to sleep.
7:30 a.m.  I get up to say good-bye to Staley.
7:45 a.m.  I contemplate showering and getting a few things done before Adelie wakes up again.  Instead, I fall back asleep.
9:30 a.m.  Adelie and I wake up.  She eats.
10:00 -11:00 a.m.  We sing songs, do finger plays, read books, do tummy time, play on the floor with toys.
11:00 a.m. Adelie gets tired of playing and eats again.
11:30-12:15  We go downstairs.  More floor time, more tummy time, more singing.  Adelie gets tired and fussy.
12:15  Adelie eats again and falls asleep.

When Staley was a baby, these were my days...every day.  I had forgotten how mellow these days were.  I had forgotten how much of the day I spent on the couch with a sleeping baby on my chest because I couldn't bring myself to put her down.  I had forgotten how I came to crave conversation because all my daytime conversations were very one-sided.  I had forgotten how 'play time' was fleeting and directed by me.  I had forgotten how quiet the house was.

My days are different now.  I don't get to sleep in until 9:30.  I don't get to give undivided attention to Adelie.  I don't spend hours on the couch with a baby on my chest.  But I also don't crave conversation because it's a constant.  I am not always the directer of play time, but rather an active follower and participant.  Our house is no longer quiet.

Life with two changes things.  I sometimes feel guilty that Adelie spends more time on the floor or in her swing or in her bouncy than Staley ever did.  I wish I could give her the undivided attention and individual play time on a regular basis that I was able to give to Staley.  But I love that my days are full.  I love that Staley wants to help with Adelie and play with Adelie and gets so excited when Adelie is awake.  I love that Staley wants to comfort Adelie when she's fussy.  I know it's only a matter of time before Adelie gets excited about her big sister and wants to watch her and play with her and keep up with her.  I know that the attention and love and stimulation that Adelie gets from Staley will outweigh the fact that she doesn't always get my undivided attention.  And I know that, when I do get an Adelie day, I will cherish the time.  I will give her my undivided attention.  I will soak in the quiet.  And I will spend quality time on the couch with a sleeping baby on my chest.

No comments:

Post a Comment