Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Adelie's Birth Story

Staley's birth story was one of waiting, wondering, waiting some more, inducing, laboring, pushing, and ultimately c-sectioning.  A scheduled c-section is a much more controlled and calm story to tell.

Adelie was scheduled to be born on Monday, March 25 at 4:00 p.m.  We dropped Staley off at Uma and Papa's, coaxed her to give us hugs and kisses before running off to play (no separation anxiety there), and headed over to the hospital.  We arrived at 2:00, weighed in (seriously, why is that necessary??), and settled in for some pre-surgery fun.  We soon determined that my nurse must be in orientation based on the number of questions she asked others, the number of times other nurses checked in with her, and the number of times she attempted to start my IV.  For the record, I have great veins.  Truly outstanding veins.  If I thought it would be relevant, I'd put it on my resume.  Through years of giving blood, infertility treatments, and pregnancies, I have given out A LOT of blood and never has anyone ever had to stick me twice.  Ever.  Well, unfortunately my little nurse orientee was not so masterful with the needle.  Blaming my 'thick skin' and my 'many valves', she stuck me twice (while painfully wiggling the needle around to find a good spot) before informing me that the hospital rule was that she was only allowed to try twice before calling in someone else.  (Thank you, OSF!)  The second nurse started my IV with one stick, no pain, and one eye closed.

After my IV was started, we just waited.  I was hooked up to a monitor keeping track of baby's heartrate and my contractions.  Zach really enjoyed watching the monitor and informing me of when I was having contractions.  (Oh, so helpful!)  Doctors, nurses, and anesthesiologists all came to visit, I signed papers, and around 4:00 they wheeled me down for surgery.  There were some difficulties getting my spinal block in place (pushing and poking with sharp radiating blasts down my right leg), but they finally got it placed and the show was about to begin.

Zach came in and we were under way.  As Adelie was being born, there were several comments about how big she was (making me wonder if I was having a 10 lb baby and ultimately feeling shocked when she wasn't even 8 lbs).  All in all, it was only about 5-10 minutes after starting that Dr. Croland held up a crying baby and said, "Dad, stand up.  Do you want to see what you're having?"  Zach stood up and announced, "It's a girl."  I cried.  Adelie cried.  Zach walked over to watch Adelie's assessment, cut the cord, and bring me over pictures. 

Welcome to the world, Adelie Cate.

After Adelie was checked out (no concerns) and cleaned up, they brought her over and I got to hold her for a few minutes before she was taken to the nursery and I was taken to the recovery room.  Apparently Adelie screamed and cried for the whole hour she was in the nursery getting assessed and bathed.  While in the recovery room, my nurse orientee once again pulled out her needle and attemped to draw some blood.  No IV starting.  Just a simple little blood draw with my perfect veins.  She was once again unsuccessful, but she did successfully give me a nasty-looking arm bruise.  Sweet girl, but maybe she should pursue a different calling.

After Adelie completed all her newborn nursery requirements, she was then brought to the recovery room where I got to hold her, nurse her, and cuddle my new baby.  According to Zach, it was the first she had stopped crying since being born. 

My new love

I can't help but feel so blessed that God has given us two healthy, beautiful, amazing girls to care for.  I couldn't love our little family more!

Our first 'new' family picture

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for sharing! My heart is so full for you! Praying you continue to more forward in the adjustment phase. *love*

    ReplyDelete