Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

The Name Game

Naming a child is hard.  Before Staley was born, Zach and I had talked at length about baby names and finally agreed on one boy's name and one girl's name.  We still like our boy's name, but coming up with another girl's name proved even trickier the second time around.  The reasons for this trickiness?

1.  Zach really wanted another Bear's related name.  I scoured the Bear's web-site, poured over Bear's history, and ultimately determined that there just wasn't another girl's name (other than Payton, which wasn't my favorite) that could be linked to the Bears.  Zach's contribution?  Mika Ditka.  (Needless to say, that one got vetoed.)

2.  I prefer more original names.  As we discussed names, I was consistently referring to the Top 100 name lists (showing the 100 most popular names in the U.S.)  If a name was on the list, I preferred not to use it.

3.  Zach didn't like many of the names I came up with, but also didn't really offer many options of his own.  And the options he did offer weren't necessarily viable.  (Refer back to #1.)

So where did Adelie's name come from?  It started with my graduate school roommate who had a little girl several years ago and named her Adlih (which I assumed was pronounced ad-lee).  I always thought it was a pretty, original name and it was on top of my girl's name list.  Zach liked it too, although we had decided to pursue a variation in the spelling.  As we were discussing various ways to spell the name, I decided to google it and see what came up.  As I was perusing one of the many baby naming web-sites looking for an Adlih or Adley, I came across Adelie.  A French name meaning 'noble', I thought it was so pretty and so different (not even in the top 1,000), yet similar to the name Zach and I both liked.  I showed Zach and we both agreed that we liked Adelie even better than our original name choice.  And so, a mere week before our Adelie was born, we discovered her name.

Cate was a much easier decision.  Zach's mom is named Catherine and we had determined long ago that our little girl would have a middle name that honored her.

Naming a child is a big job.  I wanted the names for our children to reflect both individuality as well as a link to family.  And I think that Staley Jeanne and Adelie Cate accomplish that...unique names for our unique little girls.

Adelie Cate with her Uma (and namesake)

No comments:

Post a Comment