Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, May 17, 2013

Toddlerhood is Dangerous

I had thought that once Staley had mastered walking and running and stairs that the incidence of injuries around here would decrease.  She's not an uncoordinated child.  She doesn't yet ride a bike, climb trees, or play contact sports.  I feel like I'm safety conscious, insisting on helmets and bed rails and rules that I think will keep Staley safe.  Yet it seems like everyday brings another injury of toddlerhood.

Yesterday, Staley wanted to sit in a 'big chair' at the table when eating her lunch instead of in her booster.  I told her that was fine, so she climbed on up.  She was sitting patiently at the table while I went into the kitchen to get her lunch.  All of a sudden, I heard a large thud and some crying.  I ran into the dining room to find Staley on the floor next to her chair.  According to Staley, she fell off her chair and hit her head on the leg of the table.  It must have hurt because she still was talking about hurting her head when she was getting ready for bed last night.

This morning Staley and I were playing out in the driveway while Adelie took her morning nap.  We were playing soccer with one of her balls.  Staley enjoyed running and kicking the ball at the same time, but kept stepping on the ball when trying to kick and falling.  It looked like she might twist an ankle, but she would pop back up each time and say, "I tackled."  I guess tackling does look like falling over, although it seems that Staley was the one getting tackled rather than doing the tackling.

To add to the bump on her head from the chair incident and the bruises and scrapes from falling in the driveway, Staley added another injury right before nap today.  We were sitting on her bed reading naptime stories.  I was reading 'Ballerina Princess'.  Staley stood up on her bed to show me how the princesses were dancing.  Just as I was telling Staley that we don't stand on the bed, she twirled around and fell off the bed head first.  Luckily, she landed head first into her box of stuffed animals that sits at the end of her bed.  It still scared her...and me.

I am probably overly cautious when it comes to my girls.  I have been teased about putting them in bubble wrap before letting them do anything.  And based on the incidents the past few days, it doesn't sound like such a bad idea.

No comments:

Post a Comment