Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, August 18, 2013

Moving Out

Since Adelie was born, she has slept each night in her co-sleeper right next to our bed.  I have gotten used to her constant presence--her coos and grunts as she is waking up to eat, the sound of her legs kicking against her bed, the big smiles she gives me when I peer over the edge of her co-sleeper in the morning.  But lately, the co-sleeper hasn't been ideal for my little mover.

Initially I would swaddle Adelie and place her cozily on her back in her co-sleeper each night.  She would inevitably kick her way out of her swaddle blanket at some point in the night, losing it earlier and earlier the older she got until lately, the blanket  has been off before I even come to bed.  So I gave up on the swaddling.  Then over the past few weeks, Adelie has been trying to roll over in her co-sleeper to sleep on her stomach.  This has posed a few problems.  First, if Adelie is going to sleep on her stomach, I prefer her to be in her crib with the movement monitor (because yes, even the second time around, I am a little paranoid).  And second, there just isn't room to be rolling in the co-sleeper.  I would put Adelie down on her back.  A few hours later, I'd hear a 'thump', 'thump', 'thump' as she would keep rolling into the side of the co-sleeper as she tried to roll over.  And, depending on her depth of sleep, Zach's alarm or Staley's voice in the monitor or my recent coughing fits have sometimes been enough to nudge her into wakefulness maybe before she would have come to that conclusion on her own.  I felt like all this might be interfering with the quality sleep that I wish for my daughter...and for myself. 

And so...Adelie moved out.  Last night was Adelie's first official night in her crib.  And although she is just across the hall with a monitor next to my head that exaggerates her every move, I still missed her.  I think she missed me too since she requested a visit at 1:00 a.m. and at 5:30 a.m...and then decided to be up for the day by 6:30.  (Definitely not her best sleep performance.)  Obviously the co-sleeper was not the sole interferent in Adelie's sleep quality.  Hopefully tonight is a more convincing display that the crib was the right move.  Otherwise, she may be moving back in.

No comments:

Post a Comment