Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Inconsistency

There are things I had forgotten about 'babyhood' in the short time it's been since Staley was there.  I'd forgotten how quickly they outgrow their clothes.  I'd forgotten how socks and shoes never stay on baby feet.  I'd forgotten how I am perpetually wearing spit up and drool.  And I'd forgotten how inconsistent life with a baby can be. 

Looking back, I glowingly remember Staley being a baby who always slept through the night and had a very nice daily schedule from an early age.  Reading through my Staley-as-a-baby blog posts, however, reminded me that she had at least several periods of time where her sleeping habits were lacking.  I now remember how she wouldn't nap if we were out and about.  How if she fell asleep in the car, I'd drive around town for 30-40 minutes because if I'd try to carry her inside, she'd wake up and be done napping.  How we'd rock her or nurse her or dance her to sleep...and how sometimes that took quite awhile.  Our days were not as consistent in those early months as Staley tried to figure out life in the world and we tried to figure out life with a baby.

Adelie is many things.  She is mellow.  She is happy.  She is smiley.  But consistent...we're not there yet. Some days Adelie is up for the day by 6:30.  And some days I wake her up at 8:30.  She can sleep 8-9 hours every night for a week, and then last night she woke up every 3 hours.  She will nap 5 hours one day and less than 2 hours the next.  I can't complain.  Lack of good sleep or decreased napping doesn't change her demeanor.  She is still mellow.  She is still happy.  She is still smiley.  But consistent she is not.

As with so many things in baby world, since Adelie can't tell me why she's not napping or why she's waking at night on certain days and not others, I just have to speculate.  And because really, how many things can it be, I assume it's either a.) a growth spurt or b.) teething.  So stay tuned.  If she has her first tooth sometime in the next week or two, I'll go with teething.  Otherwise, I'll guess growth spurt.  Either way, I'm probably going to go to bed early since I may be up at 12:00 and 3:00 and 6:00 again.  On the other hand, I may get to sleep until 8:00.  Because smiley she is...

...but consistent she is not.

No comments:

Post a Comment