Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Friday, February 7, 2014

Confident

There are many adjectives that I use to describe Staley.  Adjectives that make me smile as I think about who she is right now.  Imaginative.  Social.  Happy.  Sweet.  Do you want more?  Smart.  Thoughtful.  Talkative.  Independent.  I could go on and on.  So many of these are traits that I hope she holds onto as she grows.  Traits that will serve her well as a child.  An adolescent.  A teenager.  A college student.  A career woman.  A wife.  A mother.  A friend.  But there is one trait that I may pick above all the others as one I want her to maintain throughout her life.  Staley is confident.

I was thinking about this today when I took the girls on a morning outing.  It was a place that was just made for Staley.  The Inspired Arts Academy in Morton are opening their doors every Friday in February for a few hours for kids to just come and explore.  They have a dance studio with a full wall of mirrors, an art room, a music room, a gym, a theater room, even a bouncy house.  Of course, Staley loved it all.  But they also had dress up clothes, a stage, and working microphones.  For my singing, dancing, performing little gal, nothing could have been better.


Staley spent a long time on stage just walking around, changing outfits, dancing, and singing her made-up songs into the microphone.  There was no semblence of self-consciousness.  No worry about how she sounded or who was watching her.  Just pure confidence!

I must admit.  I was impressed.  I consider myself a confident person, but I took a little extra time getting ready this morning.  Staley and Adelie don't care if I'm in stretchy pants with no make-up, but I wanted to look a little more put-together for the other people we'd see there.  Staley tried several times to hand me the microphone to sing, and I was too self-conscious (and self-aware of my singing abilities) to share my voice with the room.  Staley had no problem joining right into play with a group of kids who were playing together while jumping into the conversation of a group of mothers was a little outside my comfort zone.  A new place.  New people.  New things to do.  It didn't phase Staley one bit.  

Watching her own that stage filled me up with joy.  Because it showed me that she knows who she is.  She is confident in who she is.  And I just love who she is.  I hope she's confident in that fact too.  

2 comments:

  1. You would have been one of my FAVORITE people to run into in a place like that! Miss yoU!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you know about IAA being open on Fridays! I was hoping we could go but both girls have school every Friday this month. Mya loved that stage when they had their open house. She is quite a performer too!

    ReplyDelete