Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, March 2, 2014

Expectations

After years of working with children and now having 2 of my own, I have learned the value of clearly stating expectations.  At work, on day one of working with a child, I start by telling them the rules of my room.  We daily articulate to Staley and Adelie what our expectations are.  And I've found that when children know what the expectations are, they are much more likely to live up to them.

Even as an adult, I like to know what is expected of me in given situations.  At work, when helping out at church, during my children's activities.  It gives me peace of mind when I clearly understand how things are supposed to go and what I am supposed to do.  Now I'm not sure how well this stating expectations works for anything else, but since I find it so effective in my life, I'm willing to put it out there and see if it works.

I'm done with winter.  After record breaking cold and snow, winter has outstayed its welcome.  And so, March, these are my expectations for you:

1. Temperatures in the single digits or even the teens are not acceptable.  And don't even think about the negatives.  Let's shoot for some nice 50 and 60 degree days.
2. No more snow.  I mean it!
3.  Ditto for freezing rain, ice, and wintery mixes. 
4. A gentle breeze is nice, but cut it out with the high winds.  I don't want to hear any more talk about wind chills.
5.  I'm fine with wearing a fleece or a jacket, but it's time to put away the hats and gloves.  Let's work on that.
6. I expect sunshine. 
7. I expect melting snow. 
8. I expect the opportunity to play outside at least several days each week.

You are the beginning of spring.  It's time to start acting like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment