Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, May 19, 2014

Things a Big Girl Does

Staley is growing into such a big girl.  She does so many big girl things.  She gets herself dressed and undressed.  She sleeps in big girl underpants.  She insists on grown-up silverware and glass plates.  She keeps an eye on her baby sister, works the cursor on the laptop, and legitimately helps with cooking and cleaning.  And this week-end marked a few more big girl firsts for Staley.

This week-end, Staley had a big girl play date.  We've had lots of play dates with friends and family, but they usually involve Adelie and, therefore, I'm always in the mix.  But with Adelie napping on Saturday afternoon, Staley and her 4 year old friend had a great, fun, big girl time together.  They played in the basement and the playroom and the backyard.  I could always hear them or see them, but I was not a part of their play.  They did each other's hair and pushed each other on the swings.  They colored and pretended and shared.  They decided what to play and where to play and how to play.  It made me smile to watch them out the window while I did dishes or listen into the basement as I started laundry.   I hovered and listened and watched and checked in (probably more than I should have), but they didn't need me.  As strange as it sounds, that made me both happy and a little sad at the same time.

Big girl fun

On Sunday, we enjoyed family time at the Peoria Chief's game.  It was both Kid's Day (hooray for free hot dogs and running the bases) and Princess Day.  So not only did the girls get to enjoy the game and the mascot, but Staley also got the opportunity to meet Cinderella, Mulan, and Ariel.  And my big girl had no qualms about telling Ariel all about how she was a mermaid for Halloween, giving a hug to the mascot, bouncing in the bouncy house with the other kids, sliding down the big bouncy slide all by herself, AND running the bases without us.  (There was an older girl from our church who offered to run with Staley, which made me feel better.)

Staley and Elliott with the princesses

Enjoying the action in the ball game

Staley with Homer, the mascot

Running the bases

There are so many things I love about Staley getting older.  I love the increased independence.  I like that she can help out and entertain herself and take herself to the bathroom, and enjoy big girl activities.  But at the same time, I did like seeing how little Staley looked out on the field running the bases.  Because that reminded me that as big as she may seem, she's still just my little girl.



No comments:

Post a Comment