We went to church this evening to have our family picture taken for the new church directory. I had been a little concerned about Adelie's blood blister on her lip and how that would look in the pictures. As it turned out, that was the least of our problems.
A recipe for disaster:
1. The picture people were running so far behind that we were at the church for almost an hour before they were ready to actually take our pictures. And as much as Staley enjoyed dancing on the 'stage' and Adelie enjoyed climbing up and down the steps to the stage, an hour is a LONG time to entertain 2 little girls in the sanctuary of a church.
2. As our original scheduled time was right before dinner, an hour later we had passed up our normal dinner time and were quickly approaching bedtime. That's generally not the best combination for cooperative, compliant, smiling, happy girls.
3. The photographer who got the unfortunate job of trying to photograph our little family was a nice enough elderly gentleman who knew very little about taking pictures of young children. He kept trying to calmly explain to Adelie (as she was wriggling off my lap) and Staley (as she was standing on one foot, spinning around, putting her hand on her head) that they needed to stay still and look at the camera. As I'm sure you can imagine, his strategy did not prove very effective.
4. I had been very up-front with our photographer that we JUST wanted to get the photo for the directory and would not be purchasing any pictures. He informed me that he would still take a variety of shots and poses as it was required of him. After 2 poses and about 10 pictures (when Adelie was starting to cry and Staley was refusing to stand up), he gave up.
5. The tough part was that we still had to choose a photo that will be displayed in our church directory. In most of the pictures, Staley had this awful grimace (I think she was trying to smile) and there were several pictures that at least one of the girls was looking in the wrong direction. One picture was SO bad that I actually laughed out loud when I saw it. When it was all said and done, I found ONE picture that I'm not embarrassed to have in the church directory. And all things considered, I'm calling that a success.