Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Saturday, August 2, 2014

Sassy Pants

Most of the time, Staley is delightful.  She is generally sweet and loving and obedient and fun.  But there are those moments...those un-delightful moments--that are also a part (thankfully a small part) of who Staley is right now.  Staley has moved past her toddler-tears-over-ridiculous-things phase.  I was happy to see that go.  But lately she's been trying on her sassy pants...and I'm not liking how they fit.

I was a little taken aback when this sassy-girl attitude arose from my sweet and compliant little girl.  When she looks me in the eye and defiantly chooses not to do what I ask, and especially when she does it with a little smirk, it does not sit well with me.  When she sassily makes demands like "I won't go potty until you shut the door" or does things like slamming doors, stomping her feet, yelling, pointing her finger at us, crossing her arms,or even walking/running away from us when we try to talk to her, I briefly lose sight of the child that she usually is.  It makes me sad to see these unbecoming behaviors arise from my little girl.  It's hard removing privilege after privilege, knowing that when it comes time for her after-rest movie or bedtime music or bath time toys, she'll probably be her sweet, happy self again.  And it's difficult not knowing where these behaviors are stemming from.  Is she seeing some of these behaviors or hearing this sassiness from the older kids at the baby-sitters?  Is she testing limits, seeing how far she can push now that she's older?  Is this normal for 3?  Is she just getting it out of her system now so that she'll be utterly delightful during her teenage years?  I'm not sure what the answer is or how to quickly extinguish these behaviors.  All I know is, I'm not sure where Staley found these sassy pants, but I'm hoping she outgrows them very soon!!

No comments:

Post a Comment