Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, October 13, 2014

Kid at Heart

One of the fun things about being a parent is getting to re-experience the play activities that you always enjoyed as a child.  I'll be the first to admit.  There are some kid's books, toys, movies, tv shows, and activities that I get really excited about.  There are play activities that I can get absorbed in and really have a great time with.  And as Staley gets older, there are more and more of these activities that I find myself experiencing child-like enthusiasm for.

I'm a game player, so I love that Staley can play more complex games, see a game to completion, and follow the rules.  A few of my favorites:  Memory, Ariel's Under Sea Treasures, and Candy Land.

I love to color.  Like spend 15 minutes happily choosing colors and coloring a picture.  I can sometimes do without the mess of glue, glitter, Play-Doh, and paint.  But coloring.  I find it very relaxing.

I really enjoy getting Barbie's ready for the ball/festival/party.  I like changing their outfits, putting on their shoes, and doing their hair.  I don't always enjoy playing out the same scenario over and over where I'm told that I'm saying/doing the wrong thing, but getting them ready.  I actually do enjoy that.

I love reading children's books.  I get excited about picking out new books for the girls at the library.  I could do without some of the books the girls enjoy (like the books based on characters, TV shows, or movies that are really poorly written), but for the most part, I'm happy to read to my girls as long as they'll sit and listen.

I can really get caught up in playing with Mega Blocks.  I like building different structures, finding ways to keep them steady, adding bridges and windows, and seeing what I can create.  Sometimes I'll keep going even after Staley and Adelie have lost interest.

Staley sometimes watches a TV show called 'Sofia the First' after rest time.  This is a favorite of mine.  I like that Sofia is really nice, always does the right thing, and teaches nice social lessons.  But I actually just enjoy the show.  Sometimes I dawdle getting up from the couch to get Staley her snack because I don't want to miss what's happening.  I don't really get into most of the other shows or videos that Staley watches, but I am a fan of Sofia.

Before rest time and nap time, we do music together where we watch various song clips on You-Tube.  There are definitely some I enjoy more than others, but Adelie is recently into Elmo.  And there are a lot of catchy, clever 'Sesame Street' songs with the characters singing with popular artists and musicians.  Sometimes I let the girls watch a couple extra Elmo songs, just because I'm enjoying them and want to see more.

I think puzzles are really fun.  As Staley is starting to complete bigger (48 piece) puzzles, I enjoy helping her.  The challenge of finding the right piece and making it fit.  The rush of getting down to those final few pieces.  Even if it's the same 2 'Frozen' puzzles over and over, I still enjoy it.

There are activities of mine that Staley enjoys doing with me.  She likes to help me cook and clean.  She enjoys when we paint our nails together or do our hair together.  But it's a 2-way street.  Because just like she enjoys doing 'grown-up' activities, I'm apparently still a kid at heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment