Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, January 19, 2015

Phases

I have learned, over these past 4 years, that kids go through many phases.  There are some things that are just a part of who they are, a part of their personalities.  But there are other things, many other things, that ebb and flow as they grow and change.  Sleep habits, eating habits, behavior patterns...many of these things are consistently shifting.  I've come to understand that, no matter how annoying or frustrating or dark things might seem, there is always a light and an end of the tunnel, because generally it's a phase.  And whether you want it to or not, it will probably change.

Adelie is going through several phases right now that are not my favorite.  And I just keep reminding myself that phases come and phases go.  I'm just hoping that these phases go quickly.

1.  Adelie, my wonderful eater, has been going through a more picky eating phase.  Adelie has always been good about eating (large amounts) of whatever is put in front of her.  Vegetables, meats, casseroles, soups.  Whatever it is, Adelie will eat it.  Lately, however, she's demonstrating her toddler independence...and her toddler opinions.  "Not like this" is something we now hear frequently.  She is eating less, and eating less variety.  And what makes this all the more annoying is that she will take a bite of something, chew it up, and then spit it out, often trying to hand it to you.  Food ends up on the floor.  Frequent requests for more fruit or more chips or dessert are made.  She is still a generally good eater, but I miss my put-it-on-my-tray-and-I'll-happily-eat-it little girl.

2.  Adelie, my play-hard, sleep-hard little one has not been sleeping quite as well as she usually does.  I've wondered about teething.  I've wondered about her getting too cold at night.  But whatever the reason, Adelie is waking up in the early morning hours.  Adelie used to go to bed without a fuss, fall asleep immediately, and we wouldn't hear a peep until about 8 or 8:30.  Now she's been crying more when we put her to bed, and has generally been waking for brief periods between 4:30 and 6:30 in the morning.  Sometimes she'll cry for a few minutes and fall back asleep.  A few days she's been up for the day by 6:15 or 6:30, not going back to sleep.  Sometimes she really doesn't want to go back to sleep, and will cry for 15 or 20 minutes after we've changed her pants, covered her back up, and reminded her that it's 5:30 in the morning and it's still sleep time.  And most days lately, even after she's gone back to sleep, she's been waking for the day by 7 or 7:15.  This doesn't translate into longer naps, unfortunately.  I don't know that these changes are exactly what I was hoping for a few short weeks before Staley and Adelie become roommates.

3.  Adelie is impatient.  REALLY impatient.  When she wants something, she wants it NOW.  And if she doesn't get it when she wants it, her volume rises, the intensity of her request increases, and pretty soon the tears follow.  This is especially evident at mealtimes when she is done eating before the rest of the family.  "All done.  All done.  All done.  ALL DONE.  ALL DONE.  ALL DONE!!!"  Although we're working on it, patience is not yet in her vocabulary.

4.  Adelie has no sense of safety awareness.  Climbing and falling, walking into things, trying to do whatever her big sister is doing.  There is nothing that Adelie won't try.  The other night after dinner, I was cleaning up dishes and Zach went into the bathroom to get a washcloth to wash Adelie's hands and face.  She was not strapped into her highchair, and Zach emerged from the bathroom just in time to see Adelie standing up...on her highchair tray.  She has also discovered that, when walking to the garage from the house, if she runs towards the road, I will yell and run after her.  Good times, apparently.  So this has become a new game, of which I am not fond.

5.  And, of course, the phase of all phases, Adelie is firmly entrenched into her toddler drama.  We have plenty of tears around here these days.  Tears when she falls down, tears when she can't have what she wants, tears when things don't happen as quickly as she wants them to, tears when she is reprimanded, tears when someone else has something she wants, tears when I won't pick her up while I'm making dinner, tears when things generally aren't going her way.  Tears, tears, tears.  They are usually short-lived, but they are a constant in our day.

There are so many fun things about Adelie right now.  She is talkative and funny, sweet and loving.  She makes me laugh on a daily basis.  But there are also some phases she is going through right now that I could do without.  Let's keep the talking.  Let's keep the playfulness.  Let's keep the hugs and snuggles.  But let's hurry through these night waking, picky eating, road running, impatient, tear-filled days.

 Of course, fancy isn't a phase.  Fancy is a lifestyle.


1 comment:

  1. I love, love, love this picture of Adelie!!!!!!!!!! This is my favorite right now. I think the look on her face is precious.

    ReplyDelete