Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Thursday, January 29, 2015

The Countdown

5 weeks.  35 days.  In a little over a month, we will be welcoming the newest addition to our family.  I am officially scheduled for a c-section on March 5, so barring any decisions from this baby to arrive ahead of schedule, we will have 5 more weeks as our little family of 4 before we become Sancken, party of 5.

When we were expecting Staley, we had 9 months to prepare for the birth of our first child.  Of course, there was a lot to be done--picking out furniture, researching the best bottles/cribs/monitors/swings, registering, attending showers, nursery decoration, reading baby books, wondering about life with a child, worrying about how we would know what to do with an infant.  Then when Adelie was on the way, there was a lot to be done.  We were in the process of finishing our basement, so there was construction mess and chaos.  We had to purchase big-girl  furniture for Staley, set up her new room, repaint our office and convert it to a nursery, while also trying to clean and organize our just-finished-weeks-before-Adelie-arrived basement.  At the same time, I had so many worries about how I would handle life with 2 kids.

And now, with 5 weeks left until baby arrives, all I feel is excitement.  Sure, there are a few little things to be done.  Bringing the baby gear up from the basement, washing up and putting away the gender neutral 0-3 month clothes, making some freezer meals, coming up with a name.  We have to assemble the crib we got from one of Zach's co-workers so Adelie and Staley can become roommates.  But there are no major room changes that need to be done.  No major purchases to be made.  No redecorating.  And, maybe naively, I'm much less worried about the transition from 2 to 3 than I was about the transition from 1 to 2.  Sure, I still have my worries.  About the health of our baby.  About having Staley and Adelie sleeping in the same room.  About if my husband decides he doesn't like any of the name suggestions I propose.  But, for the most part, I feel at ease.  I feel excitement about meeting our new little baby.  I feel joy at thinking ahead to my girls meeting their new sibling for the first time.  And I feel ready.  Ready for #3.  Ready for this next milestone in our life.  Ready to meet our newest blessing.  Bring it on!!

No comments:

Post a Comment