Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Briggs' Birth Story

The third time around, I knew what to expect.  Briggs was scheduled for a repeat c-section on 3-5-15 at 11:00.  Zach and I dropped off Staley at preschool and Adelie at her baby-sitters for their usual routine, and then we headed to the hospital to check in around 9:00.  I went through all the normal preparation--answering questions, signing papers, meeting with the surgery team.  Briggs was monitored, keeping up his usual daily activity that received many comments about what a happy baby he must be.

Our pastor, Gary, came to pray with us.  He shared a verse with us that really spoke to me and calmed me in that moment.  Zephaniah 3:17:  "The Lord your God is in your midst, a mighty one who will deliver.  He will rejoice over you with gladness; he will quiet you by his love; he will exult over you with loud singing."  My mom and Zach's parents came to see us before we were wheeled back into surgery.

Once in surgery, everything went smoothly.  My spinal was placed without difficulty.  My vitals were good.  Zach came to join me, and it was only about 5 minutes later that Dr. Martin had Zach stand up to see if we were welcoming a baby boy or a baby girl into the world.  Zach said, "Well hi there, Briggs."  The tears flowed.  Briggs was cleaned off, examined, weighed, and measured.  Weighing in at 7 lbs, 9 oz and measuring 19 3/4" long, he was the picture of health and perfection.

Welcome to the world, Briggs Lucas.

Unlike the births of Staley and Adelie, they let Briggs stay with me while they completed my surgery and then in the recovery room instead of whisking him off to the nursery.  Although he wasn't interested in nursing, it was so nice to be able to immediately hold and snuggle my new baby.

Family time

While Staley and Adelie were both delivered by Dr. Croland, I had decided to switch physicians within the practice and Briggs was delivered by Dr. Martin.  I loved her!  She was always so thorough and concerned.  At each visit, she acted as though she had all the time in the world to answer my questions.  She was always able to explain things thoroughly, to address my concerns, to answer all my questions.  I felt very comfortable with her and was so happy that she was the one to help us bring our new baby into the world.

Briggs with Dr. Martin

We spent our 2 night stay in our private room as a family.  Our first night was rough.  After having my catheter removed, I was unable to use the restroom throughout the night.  While I was struggling with this, Briggs decided that he was happier being awake and held than sleeping.  Needless to say, night one was a very sleepless one for both Zach and I.  But as my issues resolved the following day and Briggs had his circumcision the following evening, all three of us slept much better the following night.

Holding my new love

Daddy with his little guy
On that first evening, as Zach was holding Briggs, I heard him say to Briggs, "I have so much to teach you."

After 2 nights with a healthy baby and a healing Mama, the doctors were ready to let us go home.  And as much as we loved having those first few days to bond solely with our new baby boy, we were ready to get home and start our new life as a family of 5.





No comments:

Post a Comment