Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Thursday, March 12, 2015

Good Morning?

Zach is a morning person.  I am not.  He wakes up ready to face the day.  I need to ease into the day a little at a time.  He's perky and happy and ready to go as soon as his feet hit the floor.  I prefer to have some silence and at least a shower before I really want to engage in a conversation.  I am definitely not a little ray of sunshine in the morning, but I never thought much of it...until I saw these traits pop up in my daughter.

Staley wakes up and greets the day much like her mother.  If she wakes up on her own, she takes her time lying in bed and talking/singing to herself before she wants to get up.  But the worst?  Trying to get her up before she is ready.  Getting her up for pre-school on the days I work has been less than enjoyable on many occasions.  It took us WAY too long and WAY too many drama-filled, tear-filled mornings to figure out that it works better for us to wake her up and give her 10-15 minutes before she needs to get ready to ease into the waking up process.

On the flip-side, Adelie takes after her father.  She wakes up and is immediately ready to go.  The other morning was a prime example of their differences.  We went in to the wake the girls up for pre-school and the baby-sitter.  Both girls were sound asleep when we entered their room.  We said, "It's time to get up."  Staley, without opening her eyes, rolled over in bed and pulled the covers up further around her.  In that time, Adelie was already standing up in her crib happily saying, "I'm awake.  I'm awake."

There are many things that I believe Staley inherited from me.  She has my eyes.  My fair skin.  In many ways, from her memory to her firm belief in her opinions to her extroverted tendencies, I see myself.  And I think those are all good things.  But her morning behaviors?  I really wish she had gotten those from Zach.

No comments:

Post a Comment