Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, April 15, 2015

Not Ready

There are so many things I love about parenting, but I do not love potty training.  The vigilance.  The messes.  The constant bathroom breaks.  I am not looking forward to doing all that again...twice.  Since Adelie always wants to be just like Staley, I'm kind of hoping she just does it on her own.  (Wishful thinking, I know.)  Adelie has shown signs of readiness.  She lets us know when her diaper is wet or dirty.  She will often tell us as she is going to the bathroom.  She has asked to sit on the potty and gone successfully on several occasions.  And although we have not started the potty training, we talk about big girl underpants and using the potty like sissy.  We offer her opportunities to sit on the potty before bath or if we think she might need to go.  And during diaper changes, we let her know that when she goes on the potty like a big girl, she won't have to have her diaper changed anymore.  With all this groundwork, I figured Adelie would be itching to wear big girl underpants and use the potty like sissy.

So yesterday, as I was changing Adelie's dirty diaper, we had this conversation:

Me:  "You know, if you tell me before you go poo poo, you can go on the potty and then you wouldn't have to get your diaper changed.  You could go poo poo on the potty like Sissy does."
Adelie:  "I'm fine.  You can change my diaper."

Ready to take on the world?  You bet.  But potty training?  Apparently not yet.

THIS is my Adelie!

No comments:

Post a Comment