Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

My Cup Runneth Over

The 23rd Psalm.  God really wanted me to read that today.  All morning, I was thinking about the statement, "My cup runneth over."  I know that in the context of this Psalm, God is talking about the overflowing blessings that He provides.  But in the context of my morning, I kept thinking about the fact that whatever is filling your cup to the brim will eventually overflow.  And so, when my cup is filled with fatigue and time frames and things to do and places to be and lists that keep piling up, then what overflows to those around me is frustration and shortness and demands and ugliness.  And this morning as I was apologizing to my girls in the car for getting frustrated with them as we were trying to get out the door, my heart hurt.  Because these days are precious.  There will be a day when my older daughter won't want to tell me every little thing that is on her mind.  There will be a day when my younger daughter won't need me to help her get ready.  There will be a day when my baby won't want to be held.  And when I decide to let my cup be filled with thoughts of things that aren't getting done or all the paperwork piling up on my desk at work or trying to make it somewhere on time, then I will continually have to apologize to my family for my frustration or my words or my sighs or my busyness.  But if I allow my cup to be filled to the brim with the many blessings in my life, if I allow God to help me focus on what is truly important, if I take the time to cherish the little moments (even if they are little moments that always make us late for everything), then what will overflow to my family will be the love and joy and time and focus that they deserve.
 
In the midst of my morning chaos, I needed to remember the words in this Psalm.  "He makes me lie down in green pastures.  He leads me beside the still waters.  He restores my soul."  That's what I need.  To allow God to lead my heart and mind to a place of peace and rest.  I need to let God help me focus on what really matters.
 
Because my cup truly does runneth over...
 
...and I need to remember to always thank God for that!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment