Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Why We're Always Running Late

Every Tuesday and Thursday morning, Staley and I have the same routine while we are getting ready to leave for pre-school/work.  After I help her get dressed and do her hair, we come downstairs.  Once downstairs, her 3 "jobs" include going potty, brushing her teeth, and putting on her shoes while I finish up packing my lunch, making our breakfast smoothies, and getting everything ready to go.  This morning Briggs woke up as we were coming downstairs, so Staley was doing her jobs while I was feeding Briggs on the couch.

After several minutes in the bathroom, I hear the toilet flush, the sink water running, and then Staley comes out into the living room.  Impressed by the normal-person speed in which this occurred, I commented:

Me:  "Great job, Staley!  Did you wash your hands and brush your teeth?"
Staley:  "I just washed my hands.  I didn't brush my teeth yet."
Me:  "Okay.  Go brush your teeth."

Staley goes back into the bathroom.   I hear the sink water running and a few minutes later, she comes back out into the living room.

Me:  "Are your teeth brushed?"
Staley:  (sheepishly) "Oops.  I just washed my hands again."
Me:  "Okay.  Go brush your teeth now."

Staley goes back into the bathroom once again.  By this time, I'm done feeding Briggs and getting things finished up in the kitchen.  I hear exuberant singing from the bathroom, but no running water for a minute or two.

Me:  (calling from the kitchen) "Staley.  Are you brushing your teeth?"
Staley:  "Not yet.  It's too hard.  I can't get it off."
Me:  (walking into the bathroom) "What can't you get off?"
Staley:  "I can't get the top off the toothpaste.  It's too hard."
Me:  "You should have just asked me to come and help you get it off."
Staley:  "Instead of just standing here playing?"
Me:  "Yup."
Staley:  (legitimately as if she'd never thought of that before) "Oh.  Okay."

Maybe this is the turning point, the light bulb moment that Staley needed.  Maybe she just needed someone to tell her that asking for help to get things done is better than just playing around.  But more likely, it's just another day where it takes her 20 minutes to do what most people can do in 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment