Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Monday, May 30, 2016

Pitter Patter

Staley never gets out of bed at night.  Ever.  When she was just 2 and transitioned to her "big girl bed", we told her not to get out of bed...and she didn't...and she doesn't.  When we tuck her in at night, she stays there.  If she needs something in the night (which rarely happens anymore), she calls for us.  When she wakes up in the morning, she takes her time getting up, and sometimes will still call for us to let us know she's awake.

Adelie, on the other hand, enjoys the freedom that her big girl bed affords.  She always appears at our bedside when she wakes up in the morning, or shows up downstairs when her nap is done.  After we've tucked the girls in at night, it's not uncommon for us to hear the pitter patter of little feet above our heads.  Adelie will occasionally come downstairs to check in with us, but more often, we'll hear little footsteps for a minute and then all is quiet again.  We've often wondered what she's doing up there, but since it's generally brief and everything remains quiet, we've never felt it necessary to go up and check.

Tonight, out of the blue, Adelie told me, "Sometimes when I'm sleeping, I get out of my bed and go over to Staley's bed to cover her up."

Now when I hear that little pitter patter of feet above my head at night, it will just warm my heart and make me smile.


No comments:

Post a Comment