Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, May 29, 2016

The Other Side

I find that I often blog about the wild, mischievous, active, crazy side of my middle child, because, let's face it, it's a big part of who she is.  And her shenanigans do make for some amusing blog posts.  But there are many other sides to Adelie, and I think it's important to focus on those to.  It's important to remember that Adelie is...

...a great sharer, often willingly sharing her most favorite toys with her siblings and friends

...a generous giver, happily giving special things that she has found or made to others

...affectionate, giving big hugs freely to anyone who asks.  I love how she wraps her little, wiry legs around me when I pick her up.  And how she cuddles on my lap and sits so still when I read her books.

...an enthusiastic participant, often getting as excited about Staley's grand ideas as Staley is

...a sincere compliment giver, never missing an opportunity to build someone up with a sincere compliment.  This morning as I was getting ready for church, Adelie exclaimed, "Wow, Mommy!  You are the fanciest girl in the whole world."  (Although, to be fair, she also honestly shares her not-so-favorable opinions freely as well.)

...a selfless cheerleader, giving sincere praise when Staley wins at a game or when Briggs masters a new skill, even when that means she loses the game or the focus is on someone else.

...confident, jumping right in and keeping up with the older kids at family gatherings, Story Hour, kid's choir, or Shining Stars

...social, never having any qualms about talking to people or making new friends, whether they are her age, big kids, or adults.  She was happily taking turns making pipe cleaner creations with the man sitting behind us at Staley's pre-school graduation while waiting for the program to begin.

...brave, never backing down from a challenge or avoiding trying something new.  (Sometimes I wish she was a little less brave, but I remind myself that her courage and belief in herself are traits that will take her far in life.)

...independent, always wanting to do things for herself.  She also plays very nicely on her own, happily getting lost in her own little world and not needing me to entertain her.

...funny.  She's just really, truly, honestly funny.

Yes, my little Adelie is a wild child.  But she is so much more than that.  And I love all the little things that make her who she is.





No comments:

Post a Comment