Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, August 17, 2016

First Day of Kindergarten


My baby started Kindergarten today.  She was so excited.  She popped out of bed the minute I woke her up.  She posed for pictures.  She skipped and pranced the entire walk to school.  She happily lined up with her class in the gym.  No tears.  No clinging.  Just one happy little girl who was so excited to start her school journey.

I took my baby to Kindergarten today.  I woke up at 5:30 and couldn't get back to sleep.  I laid in bed, thinking about how quickly these past 5 years have gone.  I prayed.  I prayed for Staley...for confidence, for friends, for her teacher, for her day.  I enthusiastically helped her get ready for her day, walked her to school, and kissed her good-bye with a big smile...and then walked out of the gym and cried.


Did I miss Staley today?  Yes.  Did my day with Adelie and Briggs seem so quiet?  Yes.  Did I take Adelie and Briggs on a walk to stand at the corner of the parking lot and spy on Staley at recess?  Yes.  Was I so excited to go pick Staley up and hear about her day?  Yes.

Staley had so much to tell me about her day.  About her new friend and her 3rd grade buddy.  About how they are making a classroom book and how she got to make her own page.  About how she had a choice of white milk or chocolate at snack AND lunch...and how she chose chocolate both times.  About how she had a corndog for lunch but didn't eat any of her veggies.  About how she has twins in her class.  About how they did calendar and weather and art projects, but didn't really learn anything.

Staley loved school.  I knew she would.  Her teacher had us fill out a piece of paper at Meet the Teacher night, asking "What is your wish for your child this school year?"  My wish for Staley is to love school, to make friends, to learn lots, and to have lots of fun along the way.

If her first day is any indication, I think my wish will come true.




No comments:

Post a Comment