Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Sunday, August 28, 2016

They Say...

The other morning before going downstairs for breakfast, I asked Adelie to pick up the toys she had out in her room.  She did it quickly and efficiently.  As she was finishing up, Staley walked in.  She said, "You should pick up like I do.  It's called playing and picking up.  You leave out one toy and make it walk around the room, sweeping all the other toys into the bag."   This explains a lot.  Creative she is.  Efficient she is not.

Most of my days home with the kids, I dress very casually and comfortably.  Yoga pants, t-shirts, shorts, and flip flops are my at-home staples in the summer.  The other morning, since we were going to be running errands and I was going to be volunteering at Staley's school, I wore a pair of jean capris and a nicer top.  When I came out of my room, Staley looked at me and said, "Why are you dressed so fancy?"  Maybe I'm setting the bar a bit too low.

We have neighbor kids a few doors down that the girls really like to play with.  They have two boys, one of whom is in Kindergarten like Staley.  We often walk to and from school with them.  Tonight at dinner, Staley said, "Blake and I want to go trick or treating together.  He's going to be Superman and I'm going to be Supergirl.  We'll probably hold hands the whole time."  Zach seemed concerned.  I just thought it was cute...for now.


The other day there were some men on our street getting ready to cut down a big tree.  We were walking home from dropping Staley off at school and stopped to talk with them for a minute.  One of the men had a long beard with several ponytail holders on it.  Adelie said, "Excuse me.  Why do you have a ponytail on your mustache?"  The man explained that he rides a motorcycle and the ponytail keeps his beard from blowing in his face.  He asked Adelie if she thought it looked good or bad.  She replied, "It looks bad."  Then, correcting herself, she said, "Actually, it just looks funny."  Oh, the honesty of a 3 year old.  (And yes, it did look funny.)

This morning was my dad's last Sunday as the pastor at the church where he has been serving.  We went to be there for his last service.  As my parent's church doesn't have a nursery, I packed some activities and snacks to keep the kids occupied during the service.  I told the girls that they could have their snack once the sermon started, or as I explained it to them, once grandpa started talking.  During prayer time, as we were all saying the Lord's Prayer in unison, I felt a big jab in my side and Adelie started pointing and loudly exclaiming, "Grandpa's talking!  Grandpa's talking!  Can I have my snack now?"


Briggs is talking up a storm.  He understands most of what we say and has a really big (and ever growing) vocabulary.  He refers to his shoes as "Briggy's shoes," which is just super cute. When the kids are watching an after nap TV show, Briggs will climb onto the couch and say "Ryder.  Marshall." to request the show Paw Patrol.  He calls Adelie "Addy" and refers to Staley as "Sissy."  He still gets a little confused, saying "down" when he wants you to pick him up and still generally saying "no" when he really means "yes."  If he says "no" calmly with a little smile, it usually means "yes."  And if he emphatically says "no" or "no-no"with a little more force, then he means "no." It's so fun the way he is learning more and more to express himself and be a part of the conversation.

The other night at dinner, the girls were telling knock-knock jokes.  Briggs, always wanting to get in on the action, made up his own joke.

Briggs:  "Knock knock."
Us:  "Who's there?"
Briggs:  "Butters." (Butters is my brother's dog.)
Us:  "Butters who?"
Briggs:  "Woof Woof."

Briggs was so proud of his little joke, especially when it made us all laugh, and so he did it over...and over...and over again. 


All my kids have their own little way of making me smile, whether it's with their plans and ideas, their honesty, or their jokes.  There is never a dull moment around here.








No comments:

Post a Comment