Adelie and Staley's World

Adelie and Staley's World

Wednesday, April 5, 2017

Hand Socks

Briggs has been a thumb sucker since infancy.  I know the longer he continues with the habit, the harder it will be to break.  To that end, we decided that now would be a good time to try to go thumb-less.  He primarily only sucks his thumb when he's snuggling or when he's going to bed, so we introduced "hand socks" for bedtime and naptime.  Thankfully, instead of resisting or getting upset about his hand socks, he really likes them.  Although sometimes he will tell me "I like mine thumb" when I'm putting them on him, he never complains or gets upset or even tries to take them off.  He happily lets us put them on before getting into bed, and sometimes even asks for them.  For the most part, I don't think the loss of his thumb has impacted his sleep habits or his self-calming abilities.  I'm not sure how long it will take for the habit to be officially broken, but right now it seems like he's just fine with hand socks being his new bedtime habit...and I'm totally on board with that.

Briggs and his hand socks


No comments:

Post a Comment